Thursday, July 11, 2013

July 11, 2013
Flow: 419
Water temp: 63-74
Now is the time. Right now. Flows are still fluctuating, trout are just off their summer break and I love wet wading. Winter fishing is what makes
Pueblo a rockstar but I enjoy the challenge of keeping up with trout on a daily changing river. It’s an additional puzzle that keeps the tailwater fresh and new. Of course Pueblo’s local guides have a big head start on where the big boys go between 400 and 300 cfs.
I’ve had the opportunity to hit the water early mornings before work this week to outstanding results. Pheasant tails #18 and midges below the
ubiquitous san juan have produced well. Plan on exploring lots of water or of course book a trip. A half day trip can get you keyed in. The photo was a subtle reminder to carry two rods in Pueblo. The deck at the Nature Center is an aquarium of big intelligent trout. I had a short time to fish and was interrupted with the need to find a port-a-john as the cafĂ© was still closed.
  On the way back I peeked over the deck to find big rainbows competing over food
  on the surface  film. Changing a nymph rig to a dry isn’t too hard but if my gamble didn’t work I’d have been out of time to switch back. Thankfully my bet paid off with an 18 deer hair caddis.
A quick pic and I’m on the six minute drive (love Pueblo) to work. Walk in on time still squishing in my sandals. Next time I’ll remember extra socks.
Deer flies have been brutal this year so bring bug spray or we’ll provide it on your trip. Long sleeve shirts and wading pants keep the bugs away. I don’t wear shorts because it would be a peek through Colonel Sander’s peephole more than anything but I see the benefit.
Keep an eye upstream for changing flows and tubers and start upstream and early. Water temperatures are getting high in the afternoon downtown.
Tight lines,
Ben

No comments:

Post a Comment