Monday, January 15, 2018



Flow: 97.4 CFS
Water Temp: 38-41
New beginnings,
2017 was not a year that I will treasure. I closed a business laying off eight hard working people, decided to try driving a cab to learn something new and add to my repertoire. That work did teach me something and I should have had a shorter tenure for poor employers but twelve hour graveyard shifts take the wind out of your sails. 2017 ended with the loss of my fishing buddy and wonderful dog Diamond. My guiding time was greatly diminished but I had a short number of great guests. I have to tip my hat to Lou for taking the reins and putting in the work. So in summary 2017 as a year should write up a report, print it out, fold it up to nothing but corners and put it up its hooha.
2018 is looking up. I’m back to a gainful employer that understands guiding comes first and we’re really getting into winter fishing now. As usual for the river fishing becomes extremely technical for a month or so as we  reach our lowest temperatures and sunlight. And then we get to fish the comeback. That being said I can’t remember a grand slam in January. After a fun but disheartening day Saturday I did some thinking, study and planning time to choose my spot and presentation. The result was a nice smallmouth bass, a few nice trout and two walleye.
The lesson is; attitude and activity will win the day. Fish hard with a soft cast. You can put trout down fast in gin clear water. Measure twice, cast once. Carry two rods and be ready for some fun with dries.
Tight lines,
Ben

No comments:

Post a Comment