Monday, June 25, 2012

June 25, 2012
Flow: 319
Water Temp: 62
I hate to beat a dead horse but this community rocks! We headed to Stem Beach Saturday morning for the San de Cristo Hospice celebrity fishing derby. The folks that put this together did a fabulous job and Pueblo’s business partners stepped up beyond the call for sponsorship. I want to thank all the volunteers involved in making it a huge success. The fishing as the whistle blew at six was fast on a mouse popper. I lost a massive bass on my fifth cast as it charged me. I wasn’t quite awake enough to strip fast enough to keep up with it. My second bass qualified for the grand slam largemouth. I had been admiring but ignoring a huge school of carp tailing in front of me. As they went deeper I went to stripping Clouser Minnows and unfortunately couldn’t keep the Largemouths off for the rest of the day. Anglers Addiction has a great selection of Clousers at a great price. As we drew closer to the closing bell and I’m still four species short of the slam I switched to a deep nymph rig and found a 20.5” cat. Looking down the bank were some great views of folks with fly rods, bait, lures all having a good time in 107 degree heat. Just an awesome day.
Sunday we traded the heat for another pair of great clients in Westcliffe’s cool air on our private ranch. The drive up gave us a view of the smoke from Waldo Canyon. The weed beds are encroaching fast this summer so book your trip soon. Hooking these pigs on damsels and hoppers is so cool. After a great weekend it’s great to come home and collapse. I will endeavor to get a report on the tailwater up in the next few days.
Tight lines,
Ben

No comments:

Post a Comment