Monday, November 24, 2014



November 23, 2014
Flow: 93
Water Temp:  45-48
One more cup of joe please.
Saturday showed us a shirtsleeve day in late November with a mixed bag of size and species. Browns are spawning and there a good number of juveniles playing spawn.  Fishing didn’t really pick up until after noon but when it did it was Katie, bar the door. The cooler the water gets the harder the trout are fighting.
This morning I opened the door of my little Shangri-La above the river to see snow blowing sideways at 40 mph. The weather reports called for diminishing winds so I decided to have another cup of coffee. Half an hour later the snow is blowing at the same speed in another direction. A few more cups and I’m jacked up like a spider monkey on Gatorade; the snow is coming straight down. I suited up and made the ninety second hike to the river.
 The river is empty and my consciousness is tuned to three things; my little dog sitting attentively on the riverbank, my cast, and the silence the snow manifests. Occasionally the peace is broken by a hardy trout. The dog looks at me with approval but has long since lost interest in kissing fish.
Sunday was a good day to fish after Saturdays’ crowds. Most folks left before the fishing kicked in. For the most part I enjoy the guests our river receives but please understand one thing: this is the biggest small town you may ever see. If you want to fish here respect the locals, be courteous and spend a few bucks in town.
I’m trying to get Norm here to video how to tie a Johnny flash ‘cause it rocked this weekend.
Our friends at Trout Unlimited are in dire need of folks to help measure fish at the 2015 Frostbite Fish-Off. Please contact me if you can give a day to help the river.
Tight Lines,
Ben

No comments:

Post a Comment