Thursday, December 18, 2014



December 18, 2014
FDlow: 97
Water Temp: 36-41
It’s been another busy week on the Arkansas tailwater with friends, guests and prep for the Frostbite Fish-Off. When one of my favorite repeat guests, and a great father son duo that are tournament bound, said they were coming down on my day off I said; “Call me when you get here, I’ll fish with you”. I had a great Saturday morning fishing “beats” that haven’t performed in the annuls of FFO lore and filled a score sheet in fifteen minutes.
When my friends finally arrived I had my fill and daily satisfaction of trout so I was able to hang out and watch. The dad is a good and humble angler and after a few trips is asking questions far advanced for a fisherman of his tenure. The kid on the other hand is something unique to me. He’s a “fishy” individual that has a natural insight to fly fishing. The thing that gets me however; is the total lack of ego, especially for a twelve year old. Inquisitive, attentive and able to follow through.
As a guide the cardinal sin is fishing with your guests. I was happy to be able to wet my line with the dynamic duo and meet, for the first time the younger brother. Here comes a nine year old in bootfoot hippers as eager as anyone I’ve met. I watched the older brother hook up and hand over his rod to his sibling countless times. The old generation of guides had better look out if this is the future of guiding.
BWO and tricho hatches are still strong depending on the cloud cover. Tapered rigs with attractors to barr’s pattern to midges are working well along with streamers.
We’re still looking for volunteers to measure trout for the FFO. Please give a day to the river. The swag and food will be well worth it.
Tight lines,
Ben

No comments:

Post a Comment