Friday, March 8, 2019


3/7/2019
Flow 63.5
Water Temp 45
The more things appear to change the more they just stay the same.  I do not know how many times I have listed these two flies the Olive Midge and BH Pheasant Tail and it absolutely is a must now!  I arrived late, 12:00 PM but the conditions were excellent.  A small beatis hatch was on going and the daily midge hatch.  I started out deep nymphing with a SJW and Blood Midge, nothing, and yes Steve even the BH Green Copper John!  That told me they were suspended and I switched to the aforementioned flies and immediately hooked a 25 plus hen setting in a fast water seam after 30 seconds of incredible joy and a break off I pitched into that same seam right above a drop off and the result is the bull in full spawning colors.  The hen took the Olive Midge and the bull took the Pheasant Tail. After a couple of dinks the mandatory union break was a must.  The wind came up to 38 MPH gusting to 50 MPH so I pulled the plug.
I highly recommend you book your trip now!  We are eight day away from end of winter storage and massive flows.  The snowpack is at 134% of average and Pueblo Reservoir is 45000 acre feet from maximum storage.  So the water release will be huge.
 Tight Lines Lou

No comments:

Post a Comment