Saturday, September 1, 2012

September 1, 2012
Flow: 104
Water Temp: 64-69
Sharing is not a word you hear often in the parlance of fly fishing. If someone asks to share a hole I may be prone to suggest they stick I firecracker up their bum. That being said there are times as fly fishing men and ladies it’s in our best interest to share the river.
         After a good morning of fishing we sauntered back (Lou Sashayed) to the Coyote Grill for lunch. While not as spicy as some of the sloppers around theirs are one of Pueblo’s best. After lunch I didn’t feel like hiking too far and I still needed to net the obligatory 20”er that you all have come to expect. My go to cluster of rocks just off the Nature Center had a gaggle of kids swimming through it and others turning over rocks and netting bugs. My first thought was something I can’t say in polite company but I walked by and said hi, let the kids pet the dog and nymphed the fast water upstream. I figured the trout from my rock pile wouldn’t move far and the feeding lane above is a good one. This bow took an epoxy head san juan. I’m hesitant to recommend it as this is the first fish caught on it after a long day as an attractor. Progressively tapering a nymph rig down in size with a san juan or egg, zug bug or bh 20”, and miracle midge or rs2 worked well on a hot summer day with diminishing flows. Early morning blessed us with a great bwo/ trico hatch. Being an obstinate bastard I caught all mine on a hendrixson. In other news a dog having puppies in the Nature Center parking lot was cited for littering.
Tomorrow our friend Professor Sam Ebersole recommended a great show. Here’s the press release.

This Sunday, Sept 2nd, at 4pm, on Rocky Mt. PBS (KTSC, KRMA, KRMJ) tune in to watch Designed to Deceive. D2D is a one-hour program about five of the top fly tiers in Colorado. Here's the program description:
Join five of Colorado's finest fly tiers as they demonstrate their craft and fish their signature patterns on some of Colorado's most famous rivers. AK Best, Ed Engle, Larry Kingrey, Ken Iwamasa, and Charlie Craven are featured on the Thompson, South Platte, Arkansas, Frying Pan, and Colorado rivers.
Tight lines,
Ben

No comments:

Post a Comment