Monday, May 20, 2013

May 20, 2013
Flow: 1132
Water Temp: 48
We had a great Saturday with repeat guests who wanted to explore new water and see more of the improvement project. The Carp Hole (I know I conceded the name but I just can’t bring myself to type it) produced out of the
top trench early until I started noticing debris coming down river. The flow had jumped 200 cfs! The water clouded up and I finally called time to get back across the river.
Its days like this Pueblo’s local guides show their mastery of the river. Knowing where to cross by depth, speed and the path when you can’t see the bottom can save a client from getting dunked. Before we crossed we had to hit my j hook and pickle four ‘bows in short order. The Flag hole was disappointing but we had fun working back down to the Coyote Grill for a great lunch. I’ve said before we’re blessed with awesome guests and it’s even more of a treat when they come back. Thanks Jamie and Ben.

Sunday morning the flow skyrocketed. A 500 cfs spike will push fish into holding water and we have a number of spots that produce however, this was the first heavy flushing flow since the improvement project and the debris was epic. So we spent a while watching the new structure work. Pete Gallagher does great work. The structure makes for more holding areas for trout and the main channel (thalwag) is pushed away from the bank where it had been causing damage. I was impressed and can’t wait to begin in the upper section. The Bend hole is in dire need of erosion control.
BH 20" and San Juans. 'nuff said.
Tight Lines,
Ben

No comments:

Post a Comment