Sunday, September 7, 2014



September 7, 2014
Flow: 564
Water Temp: 65-72
Douglas DXF5904 rod review; when I heard that Jim Murphy (Redington, Hardy) had started up a new rod company I thought we had better take a good look. I ordered a DXF 9’ 5# and DHF 12’ 7# but today’s report is on the five weights. The rod shipped the same day I ordered with a follow up from customer service and the process was easy. Unpacking the box revealed a triangular cordura rod tube, sock, warranty card and rod. My first impression sliding the rod out of the sock was “nice cork!” Piecing it together its light three ounce weight was readily apparent. What I didn’t expect was the rods performance on the river. Fast action met feel as I tossed everything from a single dry to a three fly nymph rig with three bb to go deep without a single hitch anywhere in the backbone. Personal preference is always the value that epitomizes your favorite fly rod but to me the DXF is a precision tool.
Casting perfectly and providing just enough backbone to turn trout and get them to the net fast without sacrificing feel works for me. And at $325.00 you can get two for what those other rods cost. Add a $35.00 lifetime warranty that includes return shipping and you’ve got a winner.
We don’t have the front door of a brick and mortar shop (thank god) so if you’re in Pueblo County and want to try one out give us a call, we’ll come to you.
Thank you Douglas Outdoors for giving the unconventional outfitters the opportunity to be your Pueblo County retailers.
Tight Lines,
Ben

No comments:

Post a Comment