Monday, April 14, 2014



April 12, 2014
Flow:244
Water temp: 50-54
I hate to sound like a broken record but we love our jobs. Doing business outside the model of the fly shop has done us well but more importantly our guests see the value we see in them.
My guest for today Mark and I started at the flag hole and waited for the trout to wake up. Missing a few and playing the hole out I checked the flows and saw a bump around 11:00. Knowing where trout move in our tailwater I decided to hit one of my special spots with Mark and a few casts later it was fish on.  It was one of the first days on the water with tee shirts and burnt ears. Clear, cool water and sunny skies made for lots of sight fishing opportunities.
………
24 hours later… Low pressure and heavy clouds led to a snow that exceeded anyone’s expatiations and skittish trout.  I met Jay and Hunter at nine and we hit the water. The morning high was the highest it was going to get. Sleet turned to snow and to make things worse the Coyote Grille suffered a main line water line break and had to cancel their Sunday brunch. Lou pulled through on his day off and delivered lunch from the Daily Grind.
Eating in our vehicles with the heater running is not the typical operation standard of Steel City Anglers but today we had to make do(I guess we could have got Subway). Jay and Hunter cowboyd  up for another session and put trout in the net. Thick heavy wet snow made for a silent afternoon.
Blood midges below attractors were the only consistent fly.
When I got home I managed to lock my keys in the truck and spent a freezing hour breaking in. Still I had another day with great guests loving my job.
Tight lines,
Ben

No comments:

Post a Comment